Saturday, March 7, 2009

iTunes University


I was very impressed by how much information you can find at iTunes University. I thought you would probably be able to find some podcasts from University classrooms online, but this was much more than I expected. I was also surprised that so many well-known schools participate. Many schools had great lectures and short speeches that were very easy to access.

When I visited the iTunes U, I found out that iTunes has the largest collection of free educational media for anyone to use. They have over 100,000 audio and video files available. A few of the colleges that participate are Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, Oxford, Texas A&M, and many more. I thought that it was great that they have it set up where schools can choose if they want to share information with only students, everyone, or only certain files that require usernames and passwords.

I looked at Carnegie Mellon's available podcasts and videos and they have so much available. They have videos of Randy Pausch's lectures, information for prospective students, information about the different departments, and they even have videos of the presidential campaign visits. I think that it is great to have so many videos and podcasts available for people that are attending the college or just interested in certain things about the college. I believe that all colleges should participate in this great program that is available.

Another impressive part of iTunes U was that they also have audios and videos for K-12 schools. I looked at several of the videos from the WBGH teachers' domain and believe that I could use this in an elementary classroom. I think that students will enjoy watching most of the ones that I watched were very short, but informational. I think that I would be able to use these for the classroom as a group or for individuals. The group of files from Edutopia are more for teachers. It gives information and examples of things that teachers may want to do in their classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment