Friday, February 20, 2009

Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture"



I really enjoyed watching the Last Lecture from Randy Pausch. He was a 47 year old Professor at Carnegie Mellon that had pancreatic cancer and this was the last lecture he gave before he died. It was a long video, but it was very interesting and enjoyable to watch. He has an amazing positive attitude throughout the video and he amazed me. I loved the way he encouraged people to live life to the fullest and always have fun.

I believed this video would be about him and something related to his expected death, but it was a lecture about his childhood dreams, how to enable the dreams of others, and how you can use these things in your life. It began with pictures and stories about his childhood dreams. It was very interesting to see what his dreams were and how most of them were achieved as an adult. He was a great teacher and used great techniques in his career. He got separate departments working together and helped create a great program at his school. He got the students to work together and help one another. He also took a group of students to Disneyland every Summer. I think it was great how he got students to think in a different way and they did many hands on projects.

I think it is great to hear that you should have dreams of your own and encourage others to have dreams of their own. I like the way that he said that a brick wall is the way to do away with the ones that really did not want the dream badly enough. You have to keep trying after the hard trials and challenges. I enjoyed seeing his career path after college and how his childhood dreams played part in that. He very clearly showed examples of how he enabled the dreams of others and how he used those things in his life. He was a great professor that had a great impact on many students.

I enjoyed this video/lecture very much. He seemed to be a great man and a great teacher. At the end of the video he reveals that he did this lecture for his children. This lecture was very inspiring and motivational. It made me think about my choices, my childhood dreams, and how I influence others around me and I'm sure it affects many people the same way. It is amazing that this man could give such a great presentation and be so positive and uplifting under these circumstances.

4 comments: